Hello and Welcome

As I am currently away from home for study, and as Skype has proven to be rather problematic in terms of time zones, I have decided to start a blog in an attempt to keep in touch with family and friends back in Canada.

November 26, 2011

American Thanksgiving

November 24th was American Thanksgiving, and in China they don't really know that Canadian thanksgiving and American thanksgiving aren't the same thing, or the same day.

On the 24th one of the Chinese DDP members sent us all a text wishing us a Happy Thanksgiving, and ended up sending an apology text when one of my classmates him sent a reply text asking why it was October again...

Anyways, on the 25th, I was about to buy some dinner on my way back from tutoring, when I recieved a text from my boss asking if I would like to come to a thanksgiving dinner since one of her friends had to cancel, I thought it would be fun so I accepted.

It was at a Mexican restuarant I had never been to before, and I thought I would be able to walk there in time. I couldn't. I ended up taking a really old bus, and the sound tract that announced what stop we were at was really staticy and I was not able to keep track of what stop we were at. I had planned on counting the stops instead, but I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention and miscounted. I was beginning to feel a little nervous when I saw that we passed the street that the restuarant was on, so luckily I was able to get off at the next stop and walk back to the restuarant.

We had a large table on the second floor, and Maggie introduced me to some of the other people there and so I was able to chat with and get to know them. Apparently she is very outgoing and enjoys organizing get-to-gethers with friends and colleagues, and that's what the dinner was for.

It was a lot of fun, and it was quite funny when the played truth-or-dare at the end of the dinner.

On the way back to the campus I took a cab with another attendee that also lives at Yuquan Campus, as I was going back into my building, I suddenly realized I didn't have my phone. I was worried that I had left it in the restuarant, but we called Maggie asking about it and it wasn't there. The only other place would be the cab.

Luckily, we had the receipt from the cab ride, but the line was busy, so I took it and went back to my room to continue to try to phone them. After a while I managed to get through, but it was the wrong line, and they gave me a new number. So I called it. Luckily, the line was not nearly as busy and I managed to get through and tell them happened. But, I had a difficult time understanding the girl on the other end as she spoke quickly, I ended up saying that I didn't understand a lot, and eventually she started laughing and hung up. A while later though, she called back and said that they had found my phone, and that I would have to come get it from their office, but I didn't know where it was, and they ended up hanging up again.

Maggie said that if I needed to I could borrow her old phone until I bought a new one, and a friend told me that I would be able to use my old number if I went back to the store I bought my sim card in and told them I lost it. So, I was more worried about the contacts and numbers that I had stored on it.

They ended up calling the taxi that I was in, and the driver called me. He said that he would be driving back to where he had dropped me off and to meet him there quickly. I ran down to the front of the campus and went up to the first cab I saw. Wrong one, oops. I waited by the gate for a while, and eventually a cab driver came up and seemed to be looking around for someone, so I went up to him. He had my phone.

He said I would habe to call it first though to prove that it really was mine, luckily I had taken Aly-Shah's phone with me in my rush to get to the curb so I used it to call my phone. But, I accidently dailing my old number, and then a wrong number. So, the cab driver asked me why I didn't know my own phone number. Finally, I dailing the right number and so I got my phone back. =) I'm glad that the taxi company was able to help me, and that the taxi driver was so nice. It could have all ended very differently, and I'm thankful that it didn't. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment